Hi guys, its been over a day since we got our hands on the android apk sideloading tool for win 10 mobile. Thanks to wmpu for leaking the trick. Although we are not overwhelmed by this. we are more interested in how it will progress from here. So we have come up with the good the bad and the ugly side of project astoria.
The Good :
- Helps to close the so called app gap in the store.
- Developers who have ignored windows phone, will be drawn to this, as its easy for them to recompile their apps into appx
- We will start seeing more Universal apps from the developers, Which is microsoft’s main target.
- Windows Phone could see a big boost in available apps and games from these Bridge tools.
- Helps to boost microsoft’s one windows strategy on the long run.
- Encourages the Android app developers to take the Project Astoria seriously.
The Bad :
- Windows Native Apps might head down hill.
- Dedicated windows native app developers will give up on native Windows Phone app development.
- Microsoft store will be flooded by more and more spammy ported apps.
- Android developers will be betrayed, as sideloading apk does not abide as per the software’s EULA.
- Apps requiring google services will not work as expected.
The Ugly :
- Opens the door for increased apk piracy.
- Increased number of apks will be sideloaded illegally.
- Security of a Windows phone might be compromised.
- Google & androids apk security hits a new low,Unless google comes up with something to overturn the situation.
- Android is open source and Google does have to justify the breakage, this would seem as an anti-competitive attack and could get them in trouble.
So, What is your view on this? if you think we have missed something, please let us know below…