Enable Windows Phone 7/8 device USB Mode
The good news is that this is an easy hack to do. The bad news is it’s computer specific, meaning you can’t just use your WP7 device as a universal USB drive on any computer, just the one that you modify and sync with. But hey, it’s a start.
The trick is quite easy and will take you less than 5 minutes to do, so it’s well worth it, even if just to try.
- Open the registry editor on your PC by typing regedit in your Start menu
- go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumUSB; search for ZuneDriver
Now you will modify three entries (note, if you have multiple WP7 phones, you have to do it for each one)
- Change ShowInShell from 0 to 1
- Change PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell from 1 to 0
- Change EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1
No restart is necessary. Simply plug your phone in and you should see the phone show up in Explorer. Close down the Zune desktop app in order to modify the files. As you can see, you now have access to music, images and videos, allowing you to copy/paste. You can put any file you want in there, but of course, you can’t access them on the device (e.g. Office docs). Overall, a nice little trick.