Windows Phone 8 GDR3 (Update 3) Preview Download
If you missed the news, Microsoft today detailed the upcoming Windows Phone 8 Update 3 (8.0.10512) which we usually referred as GDR3 update. The update includes no.of improvements like support for higher resolution screens, new generation processors, screen rotation lock, tethering over Bluetooth, driving mode, custom ringtone support and more. Microsoft also announced that Windows Phone developers will be able to download the preview version of the OS before the actual roll out. Not just actual professional developers, everyone of us can signup for this new OS preview program.
Find the instructions:
Step 1: First of all, make sure your phone is ‘developer-unlocked,’ you are a registeredWindows Phone Store developer, OR you are a registered Windows Phone App Studiodeveloper.
These two requires you to sign up for $19 annual Windows Phone developer membership program from Microsoft. If you really want to be a Windows Phone developer who can submit apps to Windows Phone Store, do it.
This one is for most of us. Microsoft announced the Windows Phone App Studio program few months ago and it lets you easily build apps for Windows Phone devices. It is so easily designed such a way that, you can develop a working app in few minutes time. Go to the link and signup to be part of that program. It is completely free and doesn’t have any validity period.
Make sure you have at least build 8.0.10322.71 in your current device. Go to Settings -> About ->More ->More Information to check the OS version number.
To update your phone, You need to download Windows Phone Preview for Developers app and install it. Open the app and once you accept the terms and conditions, it allows you to opt your phone in to receive updates.
Once you have installed the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app, head over to your phone’s Phone update setting app and check for updates.
Follow the regular phone update procedure to update your device to latest available OS build.
You need to note some info about this program:
– Usually an update will contain both the OS updates from Microsoft and firmware updates from your OEM like Nokia. Since you are signing up for preview program, the preview update will only include the Microsoft portion of the update. Firmware and drivers that are specific to your device will be updated to your phone only when you receive the official update.
– Once you have downloaded the prerelease update on your device, you cannot go back to previous builds. When the update is publicly released for your device, you will once again be in a ‘released state.’ There is no path back to a prior release/update.
– After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your MO and OEM.
– You can visit the preview program’s support forum if you ran into any problem while updating your device.
Now registered Windows Phone developers can receive pre-release OS updates on their dev phone, directly from Microsoft! You can use this app to opt-in your phone to receive early Windows Phone updates before they are generally available, enabling you to run and test your app on real hardware running the latest OS before your customers.
IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS AND NOTES:
• You must meet one of the following three requirements: (a) have an active Windows Phone Dev Center account; (b) have an active App Studio account; OR (c) be running a registered developer device (‘dev unlocked’ phone)
• Updates will only include the Microsoft update, and not additional OEM drivers/firmware
• To ensure the best experience, your device must be running the latest OS release (currently 8.0.10322.71) or greater to receive early updates via this program
• You will be required to accept additional terms & conditions within the app prior to opt-in
• You CANNOT REVERT to a prior OS version once you have taken an update via this program
• Access to latest pre-release Windows Phone updates
• Ability to opt-out of pre-releases and only receive production Windows Phone updates